Wednesday, September 22, 2010

runner

there is a desire in me that i've always dimissed.
i have always, secretly, ardently wished to be a runner.
to be able to take off and run, to have that stamina, that endurance.
as a person who worries way too much for my own good,
there is always a part of me that longs to let go.
to be free from the worry.
sitting still usually only makes it worse.
running just seems so...freeing.
just putting on a pair of shoes and going. just going out and running.
and while i have only just begun, i still have to say that
i do feel free. liberated from the everyday,
and most amazingly...very much at peace.
all i have to think about is the next step, taking my next deep breath.
and i think to myself...what if i could do this all the time?
what if i could really be a runner?
but there is a part of me that is lazy as the day is long.
and another part that is a bit defeatist.
and they told me...
running is for other people. you could never be a runner.
but you know what?
i can.
it might take a while, i'll have to work up to it.
but i can.
"people begin running for any number of motives,
but we stick to it for one basic reason...
to find out who we really are."
- George Sheehan

No comments: