Wednesday, August 4, 2010

One week in cloth

Well, here we are. One week into cloth diapering, and there have been things that have surprised me, and things that have not.

What has NOT surprised me:

1. Poop is gross.
2. I do like the Flip diapers. A lot.
3. It's definitely a laundry commitment.
4. George is still not a fan.

What HAS surprised me:

1. Cleaning poop off of cloth is still better than spending $$ on diapers.
2. I like cloth diapering.
3. Amy is just as comfortable, if not more so.
4. It is not as ick-inducing as I thought.
5. I liked it so much I went all cloth right away, instead of 1/2 and 1/2 as a test.
6. There is more laundry, but it's not hard to keep up with.
7. I don't mind previously owned diapers, although I am pretty picky about what I choose.
8. The investment was much smaller than I anticipated, thanks to #7, and factory seconds.
9. Her room smells SO much better with the zippered wet bag than it did with a trash can.

So, we've had two leaky cloth diapers so far...and those related to my losing track of time (usually around the dinner hour, when I'm trying to do 10 things at once) and not changing her soon enough. At first I was kind of nervous to take her out of the house in cloth, until I realized we've definitely got a couple of hours in between changes.

I actually really, really like it. And I'm happy that I took the leap and did it. I have four different types of diapers, and want to try a couple more. I have my likes and dislikes, and it's becoming clear which work best for my fairly lean kiddo.

All in all, I think the cloth is staying. George still thinks it's a phase. But even though the ick factor is big for him right now, he's still grateful for the money saved. And that's good enough for me.




Can it get any cuter?

1 comment:

Barb Bathon said...

No, there is not a cuter grandbaby out there! I am glad the cloth diapers are going well, and look forward to seeing you in a week!

Only a week!! Yeah!!